Laptop hangs when accessing Domain-dfs on other networks
WUR-DE
2009-05-06 11:58:06 UTC
Hi
our laptops hang when accidentally accessing our domain-dfsroot when
connected other networks. This typically happens when the laptop has been put
into standby when taking it from the domain-network to to the other network.
It does not happen when the laptop has been shutdown and rebooted when
connecting to the other network. But then, after having had a connection to
the domain-network with VPN over this other network, it happens again.
thanks for any suggestions

***@wur.nl
Elmo
2009-05-06 17:08:37 UTC
Post by WUR-DE
Hi
our laptops hang when accidentally accessing our domain-dfsroot when
connected other networks. This typically happens when the laptop has been put
into standby when taking it from the domain-network to to the other network.
It does not happen when the laptop has been shutdown and rebooted when
connecting to the other network. But then, after having had a connection to
the domain-network with VPN over this other network, it happens again.
thanks for any suggestions
Open Device Manager, open the properties on your ethernet card, or
wireless device and, if you're lucky, you'll have a Power tab. Deselect
"Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

You can do the same thing with a USB device by disabling the power
saving feature of all "USB Root Hub" entries.
Joe =o)
WUR-DE
2009-05-12 10:42:02 UTC
Thanks for your reply I have tested it but the problem remains. I think it
has nothing to do with powermanagement, but the DFS client (Windows 7 has the
same problem as XP) keeps on trying to reach the complete list of domain-dfs
servers.

The DFS Client should stop trying as soon as the IP connection has changed
the DNS suffix.
Joe =o)
Robinson Zhang [MSFT]
2009-05-15 06:04:00 UTC
Hi,

DFS does not detect the network state change when removed off the original
network. Nor does DFS note the network state change when added onto a new
network. When Explorer is opened DFS will try to resolve the path to this
mapped drive but it is not reachable. DFS will not gracefully fail out and
explorer appears to hang.

The command line solution is to run "dfsutil /pktflush" once the machine is
undocked/removed from network.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Robinson Zhang
Microsoft Online Support
WUR-DE
2009-05-15 08:10:02 UTC
Robinson
thanks for your reply
But alas, even after dfsutil /pktflush the problem persists
The output of dfsutil /pktinfo remains the same before and after /pktflush:
a list of servers involved in the dfs.
It looks like /pktflush does not do what it pretends.

Hopefully you have alternatives, for this is indeed the right direction for
a solution in my opinion
thanks again,
Michiel Pieters
Microsoft Online Support
Robinson Zhang [MSFT]
2009-05-18 05:52:32 UTC
Hi Michiel,

Thank you for your update.

Technically, the issue should be resolved after taking dfsutil /pktflush.
Given the current situation, could you please help me confirm the result? I
list a detail information below:

a. install Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 Support Tools on Windows XP
and run the following command to flush DFS cache:

Download: Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 Support Tools
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892777

b. please run the following command line on the client to display the
cached target referrals and active target.

Dfsutil /pktinfo

If possible, please post back the result here.

c. Then manually clear the referral cache by using Dfsutil.exe with the
/pktflush parameter.

Dfsutil /pktflush

Also, please post the result here.

d. Then, please run Dfsutil /pktinfo again to display the new cached target
referrals and active target. And post the result here.

For more information about DFSUTIL, please see the following document.

Dfsutil Remarks
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc779494(WS.10).aspx

Thanks.

Robinson Zhang
Microsoft Online Support
WUR-DE
2009-05-18 13:32:02 UTC
Robinson
thanks for your reply!
I issued the commands when connected to the other network
It seem as though dfsutil /pktflush doesn't do what it pretends in our
situation
looking forward to your next reply!
thanks again
Michiel Pieters
***@wur.nl

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
OUTPUT OF DFSUTIL /PKTINFO BEFORE DFSUTIL /PKTFLUSH:
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Microsoft(R) Windows(TM) Dfs Utility Version 4.2
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1991-2005. All Rights Reserved.

--mup.sys--
1 entries...
Entry: \wur\dfs-root
ShortEntry: \wur\dfs-root
Expires in 60 seconds
UseCount: 1 Type:0x81 ( REFERRAL_SVC DFS )
0:[\SCOMP0004\DFS-Root] State:0x119 ( ACTIVE TARGETSET )
1:[\SCOMP0064\DFS-Root] State:0x09 ( )
2:[\SCOMP0025\DFS-Root] State:0x09 ( )
3:[\SVELP0001\DFS-Root] State:0x109 ( TARGETSET )
4:[\SIJMU0007\DFS-Root] State:0x09 ( )
5:[\SRAND0003\DFS-Root] State:0x09 ( )
6:[\SIERS0003\DFS-Root] State:0x09 ( )
7:[\STEXE0001\DFS-Root] State:0x09 ( )
8:[\SLEEU0001\DFS-Root] State:0x09 ( )

DfsUtil command completed successfully.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
OUTPUT OF DFSUTIL /PKTFLUSH:
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Microsoft(R) Windows(TM) Dfs Utility Version 4.2
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1991-2005. All Rights Reserved.

DfsUtil command completed successfully.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
OUTPUT OF DFSUTIL /PKTINFO AFTER DFSUTIL /PKTFLUSH:
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Robinson Zhang [MSFT]
2009-05-19 04:55:45 UTC
Hi Michiel,

Thank you for your detail information.

According to the information you provided, I have the following
conjectures:

Scenario 1: These commands are run in same location. The first command
should be run in original network, the second and third command should be
run in new network.
Scenario 2: The original network and new network belongs to a same site.
The computer in different network environment has different IP address and
subnet. There is a communication error in new location.
Scenario 3: The DFSUTIL /PKTFLUSH command doesn¡¯t work.

Based on current situation, I suggest we capture network packets to narrow
down the problem. Thank you for your cooperation.

1. Please run the following commands on computer in original network:

Dfsutil /pktinfo
Ipconfig /all

2. Enable netmon to capture network packets on the computer.

1) Download NetMon3.2 from the following website and install it on the
computer
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f4db40af-1e08-4a21-
a26b-ec2f4dc4190d&DisplayLang=en
2) Launch NetMon3.2.
3) In the Microsoft Network Monitor 3.2 window, click Create a new capture
tab ¡­
4) In the new tab, select all the Network Adapters in the Select Networks
window.
5) After that, press F10 to start NetMon.
6) Try to access domain-dfsroot on the computer.
8) Press Ctrl+S to save the Netmon file named original.

3. Then, please put the computer into standby, take it to the other network.
4. Please run the following commands on computer in new network:

Ipconfig /all
Dfsutil / pktflush
Dfsutil /pktinfo

5. Please take step 2 to capture new network packets, and save it named new.
6. Please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to
upload the files (original and new) and then give me the download address.
7. Please post every result for command above.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Hope it helps.
WUR-DE
2009-05-20 08:19:07 UTC
Robinson
I did all the testing and put the results here
http://cid-a03ee8e9ffc88ef5.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public?uc=1

A few remarks:
- running dfsutil /pktflush Before or After the switch to the other network
doesn''t make a difference
- after having accessed the dfs-root pktInfo gives a whole lot more
information which is indeed being flushed after dfsutil /pktFlush, so
pktFlush does seem to do what it pretends. But unfortunately not as much as I
would like
- the 2 networks have no connection whatsoever
- I see in the Netmon Capture of the problem what I expected: Tha laptop
tries to access the dfs-servers in a roundrobin

I am very curious about your reaction!!!
thanks again
Michiel Pieters
***@wur.nl
Robinson Zhang [MSFT]
2009-05-21 11:13:38 UTC
Hi Michiel,

Thank you for uploading these files. I did check on them and agree with
you, this issue is weird.

"DFSUTIL /PKTFLUSH" seems work partly. I suspect the issue could cause by
following factors. Could you please help me check them?

1. A security/network software (such as antivirus or accelerator)holds this
setting.
2. A third party software holds this setting.

Could you please take a clean boot to test this issue? I suggest you
temporarily remove antivirus to test the issue if possible.

Clean Boot
========
1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar
and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.
2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box
and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".
4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Also, please close all open windows before putting into standby.

If the issue still persists, please feel free to let me know. I will
involve my colleague work on the problem.

Thanks.
WUR-DE
2009-05-22 10:32:01 UTC
Robinson
thanks again for your help

Unfortunately the problem persists
Even when disabling all non-microsoft services and all startup-items

I have a feeling that this is what we call a 'hidden feature'
In other words 'By design'
But I cannot believe that we are the only ones in the world that run into it

Cheers
Michiel
Robinson Zhang [MSFT]
2009-05-25 11:00:51 UTC
Hi Michiel,

Just let you know that I am still working on it. Thank you for your
patience.

Best regards,
Robinson Zhang
Robinson Zhang [MSFT]
2009-05-26 09:09:44 UTC
Hi Michiel,

After discussing with my colleagues, we have to confirm following points:

1. Does the issue only occur on one computer or some computers? If all
computer has same issue, we need focus on the issue on server side.
2. Please try to run following command in new network:

DFSUtil /SPCFlush

Does it work?

3. If the issue still persists, could you please collect more information
to troubleshoot the problem?

Collect MPS Report
=====================
1. Download proper MPS Report tool from the website below.

Microsoft Product Support Reports
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-
88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en

2. Double-click to run it, if requirement is not met, please follow
the wizard to download and install them. After that, click Next, when the
"Select the diagnostics you want to run" page appears, select "General",
<and other necessary catalog>, click Next.
3. After collecting all log files, choose "Save the results", choose a
folder to save <Computername>MPSReports.cab file. Please use Windows Live
SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the file and then let me
know the download address.

Microsoft Online Support
Robinson Zhang [MSFT]
2009-05-27 01:18:56 UTC
Hi Michiel,

Please also try to download and install the following hotfix to check if it
work. If not, please let me know the versions of mup.sys and mrxsmb.sys
installed on the system.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Robinson Zhang
Microsoft Online Support
Kelly
2009-05-27 03:19:18 UTC
Hi There,

Please include the original post. :o)
--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
Microsoft Online Support
Robinson Zhang [MSFT]
2009-05-27 01:21:04 UTC
Hi Michiel,

Sorry for missing download link:

Error message when you try to open the My Documents folder on a Windows
XP-based computer after you resume the computer from hibernation: "You
might not have permission to use this network resource"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;940648

Best regards,

Robinson Zhang
Microsoft Online Support
WUR-DE
2009-05-27 07:55:01 UTC
Robinson
I carried out all your suggestions, but alas to no avail, the problem persists

Answering your questions in consecutive order:
1. The problem exists on all our portables (several thousand), and is
reproducable on all desktops.
2. DFSUtil /SPCFlush (before and after) didn't help. It did seem to flush
all info that was displayed by /spcinfo beforehand
3. MPS Report (generated when connected to the domain-network)
http://cid-a03ee8e9ffc88ef5.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public?uc=1
4. Installing hotfix KB940648 did not help
BEFORE:
mup.sys: 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)
mrxsmb.sys:5.1.2600.5731 (xpsp_sp3_qfe.081219-1352)
AFTER:
mup.sys: 5.1.2600.5589 (xpsp_sp3_qfe.080428-1317)
mrxsmb.sys: 5.1.2600.5731 (xpsp_sp3_qfe.081219-1352)
Also tried DFSUtil /PurgeMupCache after Installing hotfix KB940648

Allthough I keep testing by putting the machine into Standby before
switching networks it seems that putting the system into Standby isn't
crucial to invoke the problem. Just switching networks has the same result.
Do you mind if I continue testing without putting the system into Standby?

Cheers
Michiel Pieters
ICT Services
Desktop Engineering
Wageningen University and Research
the Netherlands
Hi Michiel,
Microsoft Online Support
Robinson Zhang [MSFT]
2009-05-29 04:10:08 UTC
Hi Michiel,

According to your last reply, I am glad to know we have made process on our
troubleshooting. The current problem is narrowed. We don't need to focus on
the Standby issue. Thank you for your effort.

Before moving on, I would like to answer your question. As switching
networks has the same result, you can continue testing without putting the
computer into Standby. Thanks.

I double checked the information you previous provided, and noticed
following message:

9 0.000000 {UDP:2, IPv4:1} L0117450
192.168.100.255 NbtNs NbtNs:Query Request for SCOMP0064 <0x00>
Workstation Service
14 0.000000 {UDP:2, IPv4:1} L0117450
192.168.100.255 NbtNs NbtNs:Query Request for SCOMP0004 <0x20>
File Server Service
25 0.000000 {UDP:2, IPv4:1} L0117450
192.168.100.255 NbtNs NbtNs:Query Request for SCOMP0025 <0x20>
File Server Service
33 0.000000 {UDP:2, IPv4:1} L0117450
192.168.100.255 NbtNs NbtNs:Query Request for SRAND0003 <0x00>
Workstation Service
45 0.000000 {UDP:2, IPv4:1} L0117450
192.168.100.255 NbtNs NbtNs:Query Request for SIJMU0007 <0x00>
Workstation Service

The issue should be a software/services on the computer holds this
incorrect connection. I listed following programs on your computer may
cause the issue.

Oracle software
CISCO software
MCAFEE software

Also, if possible, could you please check which programs/data base are
published on these computers? Then, try to disable them to test the issue.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Robinson Zhang
Microsoft Online Support
WUR-DE
2009-05-29 07:00:01 UTC
Robinson
the netmon capture is a result of me accessing the domain-dfs which causes
Post by Robinson Zhang [MSFT]
Post by Robinson Zhang [MSFT]
6) Try to access domain-dfsroot on the computer.
When not accessing the domain-dfs there is no problem, so I don't think
there is a database or something else holding the connection.
Moreover, we disabled all non-microsoft startups and services and the
problem persisted, so I think we already tackled that issue

thanks
Michiel
Microsoft Online Support
Robinson Zhang [MSFT]
2009-06-01 04:01:48 UTC
Hi Michiel,

Thank you for clarification.

After discussing with my colleagues again, we suspect there is a specific
component on your Windows installation image or on your computers. I
suggest you build a new computer by using a Windows retail version, then
join domain to test the problem.

At same time, I will help you check the Group Policy on your computer.

1. Click "Start", input "CMD" (without quotation marks) to Start Search bar
and press "Enter".
2. Please run the following commands one by one.

gpresult -v > D:\gpresult.txt
cd\
cd Windows\policydefinitions
dir > D:\gp.txt

Then, please go to D driver, upload gpresult.txt and gp.txt to Windows Live
SkyDrive.

Thank you for your cooperation. I am looking forward to your reply.

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Robinson Zhang
Microsoft Online Support
WUR-DE
2009-06-03 09:39:01 UTC
Robinson

I built a new computer using a windows retail version CD and the problem
persists
I posted the requested output as GP.zip to
http://cid-a03ee8e9ffc88ef5.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public?uc=1

A few remarks
- the /pktinfo, /pktflush, spcinfo and /spcflush commands sho no different
behaviour on this new computer
- the new computer resides in the root-OU "computers" with a minimum set of
grouppolicies
- I performed the requested GP-commands on this newly created computer
- I interpreted your "dir Windows\policydefinitions" as "dir
c:\windows\inf\*.adm" as we are talking XP here
- The problem also persists when making use of "wurnet.nl" instead of "wur"
as servername

It looks as though we'll have to focus on the serverside
I'll start some experiments in that direction

xie xie
Michiel Pieters
Microsoft Online Support
WUR-DE
2009-06-04 06:15:01 UTC
Robinson
I built a test domain-dfsroot in my test-domain
It has no extra root-targets
Performing the same tests results in acceptable delays

Our production dfs-root has 8 extra root-targets, the majority of which is
typically located at remote sites
Checking out these extra root-targets and the way Explorer deals with that
is causing the abnormal delays and even hangs

Looking forward to your reaction!
Michiel Pieters
Wageningen UR
the Netherlands
Microsoft Online Support
WUR-DE

Microsoft Online Support
Robinson Zhang [MSFT]
2009-06-04 11:46:38 UTC
Hi Michiel,

Thank you for your latest information. I have involved my colleagues with
different specialists and we need time to do some research. I will contact
you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Robinson Zhang
Microsoft Online Support
Robinson Zhang [MSFT]
2009-06-05 11:27:40 UTC
Hi Michiel,

Thank you for your patience.

We performed further research and have some new findings.

1. When the computer in domain network (IP address: 10.x.x.x), it has valid
DNS and IP address, and it can locate AD and DFS related servers via DNS
name resolution.

2. We noticed when the issue occurs, the problem computer gets IP address
(192.X.X.1 ) from a DHCP, but no DNS and WINS. Therefore, as what we can
see in the network trace package which you provided previously, the
computer keeps performing NetBIOS name resolution request via broadcasting.
As you know, broadcast traffic will not be routed. As a result, the
computer cannot get a valid response.

Given the situation from these information, I suspect that the issue is
related to name resolution. Here are our suggestions:

1. Please let me know the network topology. For example, is there a router
between your domain network and 192.x.x.x subnet? How are these two
sub-networks connected? Also, is there DC or DFS Root target server in the
192.x.x.x subnet?

2. I also noticed that you mentioned everything starts to work correctly
after restarting the computer. It is a bit abnormal. Could you please run
"ipconfig /all" before and after restarting computer? If the computer is
able to get a valid DNS server from the DHCP server after restart, it would
be able to locate AD and pull necessary information regarding the DFS
namespace.

3. Also, please try to access DFS by using \\w####t.nl\<DFSRootName>
instead of using \\W##\### (domain NetBIOS name). How it works in different
scenarios (before and after restart, in the new network)?

4. Did you enable INSITE option for the DFS namespace? If yes, the DFS
client will not access DFS target servers in other sites, and may cause
similar problems. Please have a look.

5. Meanwhile, I would like to let you know that this is a complicated issue
and is related to server components. (This newsgroup is mainly focus on
Windows client.) I will continue to do my best to help you on checking some
basic settings and mainly focus on the Windows XP side. However, please
know that we may still suggest contacting Microsoft CSS for further
investigation in the future, to ensure your are best served. Thank you
for your understanding.

Again, thank you for your time and efforts on the issue.

Hope it helps.
WUR-DE
2009-06-08 08:56:01 UTC
Robinson
thanks for your reply

There is no router between our domain network and the test-network, on
purpose, to emulate a home network.

We do not have a dns in our test-network because of practical problems. It
is completely isolated. The issue remains the same though: on home-networks
with dns, querying the dfs-root results in a system-hang

It does not happen when the move from the domain-network to the home-network
is accompanied by a restart because then the dfs referral cache (dfsutil
/pktInfo) is empty. So in my opinion that is normal behaviour. However after
having had a vpn-connection to the domain network, the dfs referral cache is
again filled and the problem re-occurs. As long as we cannot get rid of this
referral cache (/pktinfo) the problem persists

We didn't touch the INSITE option, so is Disabled by default.. Enabling it
seemed to me a possible solution, but I didn't succeed Enabling it (access
denied) and discarted the project.

Please let me know how to contact Microsoft CSS so we will not bother you
anymore with this issue

Thanks again
Michiel Pieters
Hope it helps.
Robinson Zhang [MSFT]
2009-06-10 10:34:16 UTC
Hi Michiel,

Thank you for your reply.

Before moving on, I would like to let you know I am glad to help you on the
issue and I always doing my best to troubleshoot the issue. Normally, we do
not redirect our customer to Microsoft CSS. But if the issue is out of our
support boundary or if the issue can be resolved efficiently by Microsoft
CSS, it is recommended to contact Microsoft CSS. Thank you for your
understanding.

On my side, I still would like to provide useful information for you. If
you would like to continue handle the issue with me, could you please let
me know the following points?

1. When the problem occurs, just a window hangs? Or whole Windows XP OS
hangs?
2. On the other network, if you open an explorer window, type an non-exist
network address, does the window hang? (such as \\abcdefgh)
3. Could you please let me know why going to access DFS when the computer
on other network?

However, I still would like to recommend that you contact Microsoft
Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be
resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology
request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295539

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for
regional support phone numbers.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Robinson Zhang
Microsoft Online Support
Robinson Zhang [MSFT]
2009-06-15 01:17:35 UTC
Hi Michiel,

I have not heard back from you for a couple days. When you get a chance,
please send me an update on your issue. If you need further assistance,
please feel free to let me know.

Thanks for your time and efforts!

Best regards,

Robinson Zhang
Microsoft Online Support
WUR-DE
2009-06-15 09:43:01 UTC
Robinson
sorry for not having replied earlier. We've been scratching our heads over
here
We've come to the conclusion that we would like to try to resolve the issue
by contacting CSS

Still I would like to answer your questions:
1. When the problem occurs only the application that accesses the dfs-root
hangs
Most of the time this is the Explorer
2. Accessing a non-existent network address results in short, acceptable
delays
3. Reasons for accessing the dfs-root while on other networks:
- Our MSWord group-templates reside on the dfs-root
- users would like to be able to make subfolders of the dfs-root
Offline-available
- accidentally accessing shortcuts that point to the dfs-root

OK, Robinson
Thanks very much for your support!!
I will post the outcome to this discussion

Michiel Pieters
Wageningen University and Research
+31 317481179
Microsoft Online Support
Robinson Zhang [MSFT]
2009-06-16 03:19:54 UTC
Hi Michiel,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that you will contact Microsoft CSS to resolve the problem.
Thank you for your time and patience on the issue.

On my side, we will monitor the CSS case to report the findings back to the
newsgroup in your thread.

Again, thank you for posting in the newsgroups.

Best regards,

Robinson Zhang
Microsoft Online Support
tstumpf
2009-07-24 22:52:16 UTC
Michiel -

Have you ever resolved this issue? We are having the same issue, and
have been working with Microsoft Phone Support for over 3 weeks and it
is still not resolved. The trouble went away for a couple days, but
returned, and we do not know what changed or make the trouble go away,
but we are still stuck with long delays when accessing dfs shares.

If you have any good ideas, I would appreciate any help you could
offer.

Thanks
Tim S.
Post by Robinson Zhang [MSFT]
Hi Michiel,
I have not heard back from you for a couple days. When you get a chance,
please send me an update on your issue. If you need further assistance,
please feel free to let me know.
Thanks for your time and efforts!
Best regards,
Robinson Zhang
Microsoft Online Support- Hide quoted text -
Robinson Zhang [MSFT]