Whats best way to back up a system?
2dogs
2005-09-14 03:35:03 UTC
I want a means of backing up my whole system, applications, data, and
everything including the operating system to a separate hard drive. If my
hard disk dies I don't want to have to reload the operating system and all
its updates, reload all my software and their updates, recreate users, and
etc, etc, etc. This literally takes days. I want to be able to put in a new
hard drive and completely recreate my entire system from my backup drive and
be back up and running in a couple hours.

Will the backup utility supplied with XP do this?
2dogs in Oregon USA
dev
2005-09-14 03:42:27 UTC
Post by 2dogs
I want a means of backing up my whole system, applications, data, and
everything including the operating system to a separate hard drive. If my
hard disk dies I don't want to have to reload the operating system and all
its updates, reload all my software and their updates, recreate users, and
etc, etc, etc. This literally takes days. I want to be able to put in a new
hard drive and completely recreate my entire system from my backup drive and
be back up and running in a couple hours.
Will the backup utility supplied with XP do this?
No.

But an imaging utility will, provided that you keep current back ups. The
one I use here restores 3+ gigs in less than 4 minutes - every file, every
setting.

There are several good tools for this purpose. Check out...
http://terabyteunlimited.com (Image for Windows)
http://ghost.com
http://www.acronis.com/
--
For most XP answers and tweaks...
http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org
http://support.microsoft.com
2dogs
2005-09-14 03:57:01 UTC
When recreating the system on a new drive using an image utility is it
necessary to format, partition and install the operating system on the new
drive before restoring from the backup drive?
--
2dogs in Oregon USA
http://support.microsoft.com
peterk
2005-09-14 04:17:18 UTC
I use Acronis True Image.
I connected my removable HD.
Opened True Image and Imaged my C drive to the removable HD......True Image
did the rest
True Image lets you put a Start Up recovery manager in the boot
process.This shows up on your screen before XP loads and tells you if you
wish to start the Manager to push F?.When you do this True Image Starts and
you can restore a saved image without being in XP.
By Imaging my C drive to a removable HD I can and have removed my C drive
and booted with the removable HD.It is an exact copy af the drive at that
point in time.By saving Images of various Partitions onto another drive you
can restore that partition to the point in time that you imaged it.Images
will need to be updated when you have changes.
I was worth what I paid for it.
peterk
http://support.microsoft.com
2dogs
2005-09-14 04:29:02 UTC
Will the process you described also work if the image drive is not a
removable drive but is instead a second system hard drive used only for the
image?
--
2dogs in Oregon USA
http://support.microsoft.com
Ken Blake
2005-09-15 01:01:45 UTC
Post by 2dogs
Will the process you described also work if the image drive is
not a
removable drive but is instead a second system hard drive used
only
for the image?
Yes, imaging works identically whether or not the drive is
removable.

However, if you're planning on backing up to a non-removable hard
drive, I urge you to rethink that strategy. I don't recommend
backup to a second non-removable hard drive because it leaves you
susceptible to simultaneous loss of the original and backup to
many of the most common dangers: severe power glitches, nearby
lightning strikes, virus attacks, even theft of the computer.

In my view, secure backup needs to be on removable media, and not
kept in the computer. For really secure backup (needed, for
example, if the life of your business depends on your data) you
should have multiple generations of backup, and at least one of
those generations should be stored off-site.
Please reply to the newsgroup
Post by 2dogs
Post by peterk
[...]
Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve
http://support.microsoft.com
nephron
2005-10-10 16:46:02 UTC
i am trying to backup my hard drive to a removable hard drive using the
windows backup utility,it will make a shadow imaje copy,but asks for a floppy
to be inserted to create a ASR diskette,and since i do not have a floppy
drive in my computor,what is the alternative?
--
thanks
http://support.microsoft.com
Rock
2005-10-11 03:20:51 UTC
Post by nephron
i am trying to backup my hard drive to a removable hard drive using the
windows backup utility,it will make a shadow imaje copy,but asks for a floppy
to be inserted to create a ASR diskette,and since i do not have a floppy
drive in my computor,what is the alternative?
There is none for ASR. It must have a floppy to work. The only work
around is don't use the ASR wizard.
--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Alpha
2005-09-14 04:20:13 UTC
No.
Alpha
2005-09-14 04:21:42 UTC
However, the new drive better be in the same system or it won't work.
No.
Blair
2005-09-14 05:21:27 UTC
Post by Alpha
However, the new drive better be in the same system or it won't work.
Could you expand on that statement please.
I have a PC with XP networked with a P.C. with 98Se and I use True Image to
copy the XP to the 98SE.
Are you saying it won't work unless the 98SE is changed to XP?
Blair
Alpha
2005-09-14 05:38:03 UTC
Post by Blair
Post by Alpha
However, the new drive better be in the same system or it won't work.
Could you expand on that statement please.
I have a PC with XP networked with a P.C. with 98Se and I use True Image to
copy the XP to the 98SE.
Are you saying it won't work unless the 98SE is changed to XP?
Blair
The images are complete backups, including system files and drivers. No,
you cannot copy XP to another computer...even XP if it is not identical in
every single way.
Blair
2005-09-14 11:53:50 UTC
Post by Alpha
Post by Blair
Post by Alpha
However, the new drive better be in the same system or it won't work.
Could you expand on that statement please.
I have a PC with XP networked with a P.C. with 98Se and I use True Image to
copy the XP to the 98SE.
Are you saying it won't work unless the 98SE is changed to XP?
Blair
The images are complete backups, including system files and drivers. No,
you cannot copy XP to another computer...even XP if it is not identical in
every single way.
I am devastated! I have assumed that when I copied my image from XP PC to my
98 PC that it was a self contained file and when I wished to restore it
would restore it complete without any reference to the 98 operating system
on the PC.
You are telling me that I have been wasting my time and it wouldn't have
worked!
What I believed was that I was copying the whole disk and not copying XP
Blair
Ron Martell
2005-09-15 02:55:47 UTC
Post by Blair
I am devastated! I have assumed that when I copied my image from XP PC to my
98 PC that it was a self contained file and when I wished to restore it
would restore it complete without any reference to the 98 operating system
on the PC.
You are telling me that I have been wasting my time and it wouldn't have
worked!
What I believed was that I was copying the whole disk and not copying XP
Blair
You have misunderstood.

Where the backup image is stored is basically irrelevant, provided the
drive is accessible and has enough capacity.

What the original comment meant was that when you restore an image you
must restore it to the same PC that it was created from, otherwise
there will be problems.

You cannot make a backup image of Computer A: and then restore that
image to the hard drive of Computer B:, thereby obtaining two
functioning computers (A and B) with the same operating system,
installed apps, etc.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Leythos
2005-09-15 03:16:11 UTC
Post by Ron Martell
What the original comment meant was that when you restore an image you
must restore it to the same PC that it was created from, otherwise
there will be problems.
You cannot make a backup image of Computer A: and then restore that
image to the hard drive of Computer B:, thereby obtaining two
functioning computers (A and B) with the same operating system,
installed apps, etc.
Hope this clarifies the situation.
Actually, if you consider a "repair/reinstall" you can restore the image
and regain full use of your system. I just did three of these over the
weekend and found it worked perfectly.
--
***@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Ron Martell
2005-09-15 21:46:58 UTC
Post by Leythos
Actually, if you consider a "repair/reinstall" you can restore the image
and regain full use of your system. I just did three of these over the
weekend and found it worked perfectly.
The need to do a Repair Install and also to provide a different
product key, are what I was alluding to when I said "otherwise
there will be problems".

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Leythos
2005-09-15 21:50:08 UTC
Post by Ron Martell
Post by Leythos
Actually, if you consider a "repair/reinstall" you can restore the image
and regain full use of your system. I just did three of these over the
weekend and found it worked perfectly.
The need to do a Repair Install and also to provide a different
product key, are what I was alluding to when I said "otherwise
there will be problems".
You can use the same product key/COA as long as it's a repair - you are
even permitted to restore an OEM install to a new board as long as it
was to replace a defective board.
Blair
2005-09-15 16:31:34 UTC
Post by Ron Martell
Post by Blair
[...]
Thanks for clarifying what was intended in the original comment. I am
relieved
Regards
Blair
Leythos
2005-09-14 10:26:46 UTC
Post by 2dogs
When recreating the system on a new drive using an image utility is it
necessary to format, partition and install the operating system on the new
drive before restoring from the backup drive?
Not using Ghost (or most of the others) - the Image, including all disk
info (to make it bootable) is included in the Image Saved and in the
Image Restored - this would be a DISK IMAGE, not a partition image.
Rock
2005-09-14 03:49:47 UTC
Post by 2dogs
I want a means of backing up my whole system, applications, data, and
everything including the operating system to a separate hard drive. If my
hard disk dies I don't want to have to reload the operating system and all
its updates, reload all my software and their updates, recreate users, and
etc, etc, etc. This literally takes days. I want to be able to put in a new
hard drive and completely recreate my entire system from my backup drive and
be back up and running in a couple hours.
Will the backup utility supplied with XP do this?
As dev said, use a disk imaging program. Store the images on external
media such as a USB/firewire external hard drive DVD or on another
networked PC. Restores can be done of the complete partition or
individual files and folders.

Programs that do this are Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image, and Terabyte
Unlimited's Image for Windows and BootitNG.
--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Paul W
2dogs in Oregon USA
2005-09-14 04:48:08 UTC
Post by 2dogs
I want a means of backing up my whole system, applications, data, and
everything including the operating system to a separate hard drive. If my
hard disk dies I don't want to have to reload the operating system and all
its updates, reload all my software and their updates, recreate users, and
etc, etc, etc. This literally takes days. I want to be able to put in a new
hard drive and completely recreate my entire system from my backup drive and
be back up and running in a couple hours.
Will the backup utility supplied with XP do this?
Yup.

That's what I use. I do once a week fulls, daily differentials and I
keep 4 weeks' worth of backups.

I've had to restore from a backup after my system device failed. Worked
fine. I've also pulled individual files and folders out of backup files
when I've brainfarted and deleted the wrong tree.
2dogs
2005-09-14 05:15:02 UTC
please tell me more. so far averyone else has disagreed.

Were you able to install a new drive and completely restore the backup to it
without formatting, partitioning, or installing the operating system first?
--
2dogs in Oregon USA
Rock
2005-09-14 05:23:15 UTC
Post by 2dogs
please tell me more. so far averyone else has disagreed.
Were you able to install a new drive and completely restore the backup to it
without formatting, partitioning, or installing the operating system first?
Yes that can be done.
--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Leythos
2005-09-14 10:30:37 UTC
In article <#***@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, ***@mail.nospam.net
says...
Post by Rock
Post by 2dogs
please tell me more. so far averyone else has disagreed.
Were you able to install a new drive and completely restore the backup to it
without formatting, partitioning, or installing the operating system first?
Yes that can be done.
On a single machine, without installing the OS, you can not run Windows
BACKUP to restore the backup.
2005-09-14 12:34:48 UTC
A terrible oversight that I hope the Vista console corrects.
Rock
2005-09-14 23:10:15 UTC
Post by Leythos
says...
Post by Rock
Post by 2dogs
please tell me more. so far averyone else has disagreed.
Were you able to install a new drive and completely restore the backup to it
without formatting, partitioning, or installing the operating system first?
Yes that can be done.
On a single machine, without installing the OS, you can not run Windows
BACKUP to restore the backup.
I didn't think we were talking about windows backup.
--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Edward W. Thompson
2005-09-14 05:30:36 UTC
Post by Z
Post by 2dogs
I want a means of backing up my whole system, applications, data, and
everything including the operating system to a separate hard drive. If my
hard disk dies I don't want to have to reload the operating system and all
its updates, reload all my software and their updates, recreate users, and
etc, etc, etc. This literally takes days. I want to be able to put in a new
hard drive and completely recreate my entire system from my backup drive and
be back up and running in a couple hours.
Will the backup utility supplied with XP do this?
Yup.
That's what I use. I do once a week fulls, daily differentials and I
keep 4 weeks' worth of backups.
I've had to restore from a backup after my system device failed. Worked
fine. I've also pulled individual files and folders out of backup files
when I've brainfarted and deleted the wrong tree.
Before you restore/install anything the media/drive needs to be prepared
that is formatted. Partitioning can take place after you have restored
provided you have suitable software for the task (partition manger et al).
2005-09-14 06:01:14 UTC
Post by 2dogs
please tell me more. so far averyone else has disagreed.
Were you able to install a new drive and completely restore the backup to it
without formatting, partitioning, or installing the operating system first?
Ahh, sorry, I missed that. To restore from a Windows backup you must
first format and install the O/S on the new drive (a bare installation
is all you need) then you can restore the backup over the top of that.
steve.a
2005-09-14 08:56:02 UTC
if you have a second hdd in the machine, you can ghost a bootable image to
that drive, all that needs to be done in the event of failure is to change
the jumper on the drive to become the master and boot 2 minute job, do this
on a regular basis myself
--
there are no problems just challenges
2005-09-14 12:32:18 UTC
Post by steve.a
if you have a second hdd in the machine, you can ghost a bootable image to
that drive, all that needs to be done in the event of failure is to change
the jumper on the drive to become the master and boot 2 minute job, do this
on a regular basis myself
That method allows you to save exactly one image. Useful if the hard
drive failed, not useful if you need to go back to 5 days ago. And not
useful if you need just a single file from 2 days ago.
Timothy Daniels
2005-09-14 17:06:55 UTC
Post by Z
Post by steve.a
if you have a second hdd in the machine, you can ghost
a bootable image to that drive, all that needs to be done
in the event of failure is to change the jumper on the drive
to become the master and boot 2 minute job, do this
on a regular basis myself
That method allows you to save exactly one image. Useful
if the hard drive failed, not useful if you need to go back to
5 days ago. And not useful if you need just a single file from
2 days ago.
1) Ghost and Casper XP (and a few other utilities) can make
a bootable image (i.e. a "clone") of a single partition and
put it among other partitions on another HD. If your OS-to-
be-archived is small enough and the destination HD is
large enough, you can put several clones on a single
backup HD. If you put enough entries in each clone's
boot.ini file (one entry for each partition on the backup HD),
any partition on the backup HD can act as the loader (i.e.
act as the "system" partition in Microsoft's terminology) to
load any of the other partitions.

All that is necessary to boot any one of the partitions is
to make one of the primary partitions "active", and that
partition will be the "system" partition, i.e. it will run the
loader and present the boot menu. To make the backup
HD take control for booting, you can remove or disconnect
the main HD, or you can simply readjust the HD boot order
in the BIOS to put the backup HD at the head of the boot order.

To backup 5 OSes on a single HD, you can have a maximum
of 3 partitions be Primary partitions - any one of which can
marked as the "active" partition that will do the loading - and
the 4th partition can be an Extended partition which can hold
several more clones, each clone selectable for loading by
the boot.ini file residing in one of the Primary partitions.

2) A simpler system would involve copying the main HD to one of
several backup HDs, each backup HD sitting in a removable
tray. For that operation, you can use not only Ghost or
Casper XP, but also True Image (which can only clone an
entire HD, not just a designated partition). The single partition
on the backup HD would always be the "active" partition, and
no knowledge of boot.ini syntax would be necessary.

To use a backup HD, just slide in the appropriate tray, remove
or disconnect the main HD, or readjust the BIOS's HD boot order
to put the backup HD at the head of the boot order, and restart
the computer.

3) To just copy a file from the backup HD, just connect it or slide
in its removable tray and boot up. The backup partition will
be visible to the running OS as just another Local Disk, and
you can drag 'n drop files between the partitions.

4) CAUTION: When starting up a clone for the 1st time, don't
let it see its "parent" OS, or it will forever be dependent on
the continued presence of its "parent". Once it has booted
and run for the 1st time independently, it can be allowed to
to see its "parent" OS with no problems.

Making the "parent" invisible can be done in several ways:
a) Simply disconnect or remove the source HD,
b) Cut the power to the source HD (works best if the 2 HDs
are on different IDE channels),
c) Use Partition Magic to "hide" the source partition
(done from a bootable floppy or an OS on a 3rd partition).

*TimDaniels*
steve.a
2005-09-14 08:58:04 UTC
sorry this can also be done with removable drives, again just change to
master insert drive in the pc and boot again 2 minute job, no need to install
windows format or anything else ghost takes care of the full process
been a lifesaver for me on a number of occasions
Timothy Daniels
2005-09-14 17:28:22 UTC
Post by steve.a
sorry this can also be done with removable drives, again just change to
master insert drive in the pc and boot again 2 minute job, no need to install
windows format or anything else ghost takes care of the full process
been a lifesaver for me on a number of occasions
What is done with the main drive? If it remains in the computer
and it and the removable HD were put on the same cable (i.e.
same IDE channel), the BIOS's default HD boot order would
select the main HD (the Master) for booting. If the main HD were
always jumpered as Slave to allow the removable HD to take over
as Master whenever it appeared, the main HD wouldn't boot when
the removable HD were present for the cloning. For the simple
slide-in-and-take-over to work, the main drive would have to be
on the 2nd IDE channel (as Master or Slave), and the removable
HD would have to be on the 1st IDE channel. That is because the
default HD boot order gives the 1st channel (ch. 0) precedence
over the 2nd channel (ch. 1).

If the 2 HDs are to be on the same channel at the same time,
the BIOS's HD boot order must be changed to put the appropriate
HD at the head of the boot order.

Of course, none of this has to be dealt with if the both the main HD
and the backup HD are in removable trays and insertable into 2
separate racks. Then, simply removing the main HD would pass
booting control to the backup HD.

*TimDaniels*
Anna
2005-09-14 23:52:56 UTC
Post by Timothy Daniels
Post by steve.a
[...]
No doubt the OP is long-gone, thoroughly confused over the complexity of
this thread as it has evolved since his or her original query. I hope that's
not the case, but I fear it is.

Anyway, I hope he or she will forgive me for not specifically responding to
his/her query while I respond to Tim's comments. And I hope (most likely, a
forlorn one) that the OP will gain some measure of understanding from all
that has gone on re the discussion of this issue.

Tim, I think you know from my previous postings that I am a strong proponent
of users equipping their desktop computers with *two* removable hard drives
in their mobile racks. For many reasons (which I won't go into here) it is,
in my view, a most desirable hardware configuration for many, if not most
desktop PC users. The flexibility & peace of mind one gains from this
arrangement is enormous. But we'll leave any further discussion of the
advantages of removable drives for another day, OK?

However, we frequently find that for one reason or another (usually the lack
of two available 5 1/4" bays), the user can install only one removable HD.
Their other HD will be an internal one. In that situation our usual
configuration method (of course, I'm speaking of PATA drives here) is to
connect the removable drive as Primary Master and the internal one as
Secondary Master. The removable drive becomes the user's day-to-day working
drive while the internal one acts as recipient of the clone for backup
purposes. Under these circumstances the system will ordinarily boot to the
removable HD. Should the removable drive be disconnected (a simple turn of
the keylock to the OFF position), the system will boot to the internal HD.

In cloning the contents of one drive to another we usually work with Ghost's
2003 bootable floppy disk (or bootable CD), or if using the Acronis True
Image program, the ATI bootable CD. The process is simple, straightforward,
and effective.

Having said all this, let me reiterate my opinion that the most desirable
hardware configuration for many, if not most PC users to equip their desktop
computer with *two* removable drives. Should that be not feasible, we
recommend that a USB/Firewire external hard drive be employed for backup
purposes, rather than an internal HD. Obviously a more secure backup system
will result from having an external device rather than an internal one as
the recipient of the clone. But, for one reason or another, should the user
be unable or unwilling to use a removable or external drive for backing up
their system, then a internal drive will have to suffice. We do *not*
recommend using a different (separate) partition on a single drive for
backup purposes.

So, to summarize, using a removable HD and an internal HD, viable clones of
one's system can be created using a disk imaging program such as the ones
discussed.
Anna
Leythos
2005-09-14 10:29:57 UTC
Post by Z
Post by 2dogs
I want a means of backing up my whole system, applications, data, and
everything including the operating system to a separate hard drive. If my
hard disk dies I don't want to have to reload the operating system and all
its updates, reload all my software and their updates, recreate users, and
etc, etc, etc. This literally takes days. I want to be able to put in a new
hard drive and completely recreate my entire system from my backup drive and
be back up and running in a couple hours.
Will the backup utility supplied with XP do this?
Yup.
That's what I use. I do once a week fulls, daily differentials and I
keep 4 weeks' worth of backups.
I've had to restore from a backup after my system device failed. Worked
fine. I've also pulled individual files and folders out of backup files
when I've brainfarted and deleted the wrong tree.
While NT Backup will work, it's no where near as simple as using Ghost
or other third party IMAGE programs.

In order to run NT Backup you have to be running the OS and have a
working copy of Windows running - now, if you don't have Windows in a
working order, you have to reinstall it, get your backups, restore them
properly over-top of the OS and then it will work.

With an Image, you boot from Diskette or CD, run the Image program,
select the Source File, select the Destination Drive, done.
Leythos
2005-09-14 10:25:36 UTC
Post by 2dogs
I want a means of backing up my whole system, applications, data, and
everything including the operating system to a separate hard drive. If my
hard disk dies I don't want to have to reload the operating system and all
its updates, reload all my software and their updates, recreate users, and
etc, etc, etc. This literally takes days. I want to be able to put in a new
hard drive and completely recreate my entire system from my backup drive and
be back up and running in a couple hours.
Will the backup utility supplied with XP do this?
You want to make a GHOST Image of your entire drive to a file on a
external drive so that you have a PERFECT Image of the system at the
time of the image - you can then restore the image as needed, even
resizing drive partitions, and it will work perfectly.
Lil' Dave
2005-09-14 09:32:39 UTC
Windows backup will NOT work to meet all your demands.

The most obvious solution is a RAID 0 configuration which I doubt you have
RAID on your PC. So, will not continue on that.

CLONING
This copies the partition, filesystem, and all the files to another hard
drive. There's no formatting or installing to do afterwards. It will act
just like your current hard drive if made active for booting. The SID
should be identical though. Remove the clone after the cloning operation.
Do not leave connected to your PC.

IMAGING
This makes a copy of your partition, your filesystem, and all your files
with the exception of the paging file and hibernation settings file. This
is compressed into one or more files. It cannot be used for the original
XP. Rather, the file or files must be restored using another hard drive as
the target. After completion of restoration, the target hard drive will be
a duplicate of the original hard drive.

Many imaging type softwares also can perform cloning as an alternative.
This is usually a selection called copying a drive.

The target hard drive (where the copy is made to) should be the same size or
larger for cloning.

The target hard drive or partition for imaging may be smaller than the
original. This is due to lack of copying the paging and hibernation
settings files, compression, and only copies data not empty space. C:
cannot be saved to C:, must be an alternate partition, hard drive, or DVD/CD
writer. The two files mentioned are recreated by XP upon booting XP.
2dogs in Oregon USA
-rwxrw-r--
2005-09-14 16:13:33 UTC
On Tuesday 13 September 2005 08:35 pm, 2dogs had this to say in
Post by 2dogs
I want a means of backing up my whole system, applications, data, and
everything including the operating system to a separate hard drive. If my
hard disk dies I don't want to have to reload the operating system and all
its updates, reload all my software and their updates, recreate users, and
etc, etc, etc. This literally takes days. I want to be able to put in a
new hard drive and completely recreate my entire system from my backup
drive and be back up and running in a couple hours.
Will the backup utility supplied with XP do this?
Of course not. What INCLUDED software that comes bundled with XP can be
relied upon to do much of anything? One usually has to find a third-party
app to get full functionality for a particular job.

Personally, I'd suggest you look at Acronis True Image software. It'll allow
you to disk image your XP hard drive to a file or files on your other drive
and makes for quick and easy recovery should you need to of everything on
your main hard drive.
--
Now this is Eye-Candy! Most beautiful desktop in the world.
Checkout ELive - a live Linux CD - run R17
http://www.elivecd.org/gb/About/index.html
carlo
2dogs in Oregon USA
RJK

2dogs in Oregon USA
Rock
2006-02-10 05:23:22 UTC
Post by 2dogs
I want a means of backing up my whole system, applications, data, and
everything including the operating system to a separate hard drive. If my
hard disk dies I don't want to have to reload the operating system and all
its updates, reload all my software and their updates, recreate users, and
etc, etc, etc. This literally takes days. I want to be able to put in a new
hard drive and completely recreate my entire system from my backup drive and
be back up and running in a couple hours.
Will the backup utility supplied with XP do this?
--
2dogs in Oregon USA
There are several approaches. One is to use an imaging program. This
makes an exact image of the partition which can be saved on CD/DVD or to
another drive - internal or external. Imaging to an external USB 2.0 /
Firewire drive works well. Then occasionally burning an image to DVD
gives you redundancy. Restores can be done of the entire partition or
individual files / folders. These work well and make it easy to recover
from a drive crash. Examples of this are:

Norton Ghost 10
Acronis True Image
Terabyte Unlimited's Image for Windows
CasperXP

The second option is a traditional backup program such as Stompsoft's PC
BackUP or Sonic’s Backup MyPC. They are good tools. - and the evolution
of ntbackup. There are other good backup programs out there as well.
This can do a complete backup or backup individual files and folders to
DVD/CD and other drives.
--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
SSGTech Tim
2006-02-15 21:02:27 UTC
2D, I was going to skip over this but since there are post but a few days
old, here goes.

Disk imaging is a reasonbly simple method to get a base line of your system
which, if you are really paranoid; you should recreate on a schedule
(?Weekly, monthly, quarterly?). This will give you and in time methodology
for restoring your system to a date in time. Remember, if your system takes
a dump, you will lose whatever isn't on the last image.

For those since last imaging backups there are many options and you can make
a case for many avenues of approach.

My personal favorite uses TaskScheduler and batch files calling a free
utility availble in various places called robocopy (it's actually from
Microsoft utility). This tool is great for making duplicate copies of files
and disk structure and I think this is what it was designed to do.

The way I use this is to backup my data files on a nightly basis to a USB
drive of the same size (200GB) as the source drive. Now, you would think,
'Man, how long does that take?' Initially it took an hour and forty-five
minutes, nightly, it takes about ten. With proper command line structure,
you can set robocopy to only freshen and add new files or you can replace
everything. And several additional things in between but, we are here to
talk about backup.

You could get fancier by rotating your backup drive daily (been there) or
weekly (done that). It is really up to you.

Now, I recommend this for data files only, do your images for applications
and data, then use robocopy to restore any data files that you created since
the last imaging. Do not use this to backup sql databases, create disk dumps
and then back those ups. We had a client change to that when database
backups through BackupExec failed to restore properly. They create diskdumps
and then use robocopy and and executable to place them in an offline storage
folder which changes base on the day of the week.

Well, I've blithered enough. Good luck with what every you do!
RJK
2006-02-16 22:43:42 UTC
Oh boy ! ...you've got a lot of time to fart around with all that !

...I haven't written a batch file for YEARS ! ...almost decades even !

GHOST RULES !!! ...especially with its' "baseline and incremental"
features. :-)

regards, Richard