Cloned HD only boots from floppy/CD?
m***@yahoo.com
2006-12-23 03:18:34 UTC
I have a 40GB EIDE HD that's failing, so I got a 160GB SATA HD to
replace it. So I cloned the boot partition from the old HD to the new
one with drvimagerxp. I then removed the old HD from the system.
However the new HD will not boot. I've tried the following:

1) "fixboot" in XP recovery console
2) "fixmbr" in XP recovery console
3) replaced "ntldr" and "ntdetect.com" with ones from XP SP2 CD

If I use a XP boot floppy or CD with ntldr and ntdetect.com on them,
and boot.ini pointing to the correct partition, I can boot into the new
HD and all is well. However if I try to boot into the new HD directly,
it hangs before the boot menu comes up.

I found the following MS KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/314503
"If you can start the computer from the boot disk without receiving an
error message, the damage is limited to the master boot record, the
boot sector, or the NTLDR file."

However, I've repaired the MBR, the boot sector, and NTLDR. What could
be wrong?
Pegasus (MVP)
2006-12-23 03:24:15 UTC
Post by m***@yahoo.com
[...]
You need to state what exactly happens when you try to boot
off the hard disk.
morfinx
2006-12-23 03:43:11 UTC
When I try to boot off of the HD, everything just hangs after POST,
right before the boot menu is supposed to come up. It feels like NTLDR
is hanging. Case in point, if I make the second partition on the same
HD (which doesn't have NTLDR on it) active and try to boot from that, I
get "NTLDR is missing".
off the hard disk.
Pegasus (MVP)
2006-12-23 12:10:09 UTC
This could happen under these circumstances:
- The boot partition on the SATA disk is not marked "active".
- Your BIOS is not set to boot off the SATA disk.
- Your BIOS is not able to boot off a SATA disk.
off the hard disk.
Plato
2006-12-23 03:32:04 UTC
Post by m***@yahoo.com
I have a 40GB EIDE HD that's failing, so I got a 160GB SATA HD to
replace it. So I cloned the boot partition from the old HD to the new
Use a clone you did while the HDD was working correctly.
http://www.bootdisk.com/
morfinx
2006-12-23 03:45:49 UTC
The old HD? It was working correctly. I was alarmed after SpinRite told
me that many sectors are going bad, so I purchased the replacement HD.
But the old HD was still working fine at the time of the cloning.
http://www.bootdisk.com/
Poprivet
2006-12-23 18:58:25 UTC
Post by m***@yahoo.com
[...]
You need to do a Repair Install. Since you cloned, the registry settings
all think the drive is something it is not.

Going to the first SATA drive, it's usually better to just reinstall XP and
then go from there to restore your data.

Pop`