Hotmail attachment unable to open in IE under limited user acct
CCLRC-IT
2005-12-13 15:26:03 UTC
Logged on under a limited user account, I browse to Hotmail and attempt to
open an attachment such as a PDF file. However, IE6 states it is unable to
open the file.

If I log on as an admin/power user, IE6 is able to open the attachment.

What permissions in the registry or local file system need to be allowed for
this to function?
Vanguard
2005-12-13 15:49:04 UTC
Post by CCLRC-IT
Logged on under a limited user account, I browse to Hotmail and attempt to
open an attachment such as a PDF file. However, IE6 states it is unable to
open the file.
If I log on as an admin/power user, IE6 is able to open the attachment.
What permissions in the registry or local file system need to be allowed for
this to function?
Since the .pdf file has to *download* to your host before it can be opened,
regardless of being displayed within IE's window or the Adobe Reader window,
maybe the problem is that the limited account doesn't permit downloading
(through IE). Just a guess, but PDFs must download before they can be
viewed.
CCLRC-IT
2005-12-13 16:06:02 UTC
If this were the case then other email websites such as gmail or yahoo would
also block opening of attachments, however this is not the case. Other
websites such as yahoo do open the attachments, except for Hotmail. Maybe
there a group policy or IE setting that needs to be set since Hotmail may be
integrated to IE more than other email websites considering it is a
Microsoft-based website.

viewed.
Vanguard
2005-12-13 16:45:44 UTC
Post by Vanguard
Post by CCLRC-IT
Logged on under a limited user account, I browse to Hotmail and attempt to
open an attachment such as a PDF file. However, IE6 states it is
unable
open the file.
If I log on as an admin/power user, IE6 is able to open the attachment.
What permissions in the registry or local file system need to be
allowed
for
this to function?
Since the .pdf file has to *download* to your host before it can be opened,
regardless of being displayed within IE's window or the Adobe Reader window,
maybe the problem is that the limited account doesn't permit downloading
(through IE). Just a guess, but PDFs must download before they can be
viewed.
If you forward the e-mail with the .pdf attachment to your Yahoo Mail
account (or send a new mail with .pdf to your Yahoo mail account), can you
[download and] open the PDF from that e-mail?
CCLRC-IT
2005-12-13 17:06:05 UTC
Yes. I forwarded the email to my yahoo acct and tested it and it was fine.
Hence, there is something different from the way Hotmail "downloads" the
temporary file to the workstation and fails to open it. In fact IE pops up
with a window requesting either to open or save the file and when you click
on either of them, it pops up with another window prompting the following:

"Internet Explorer cannot download from 65.54.229.250 . Internet Explorer
was not able to open the Internet site. The requested site is either
unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."
Vanguard
2005-12-13 17:20:11 UTC
Post by Vanguard
Post by CCLRC-IT
[...]
Sounds like a Hotmail problem (with Hotmail, not you). Hotmail has
problems. It frequently has problems. It is a flaky service. From other
posts, Hotmail has had many problems in the last week. Apparently they use
a different host to retrieve the attachments or to feed through their
anti-virus scanner, and that host is down or is unreachable. You can't do
anything to fix their service; i.e., it is a server-side problem.

Looks like you'll have to wait around until Microsoft fixes their Hotmail
service. How long has the problem been exhibited?
CCLRC-IT
2005-12-13 17:45:02 UTC
Since summer of this year we've had this problem that's why I don't know if
it is something I did to the workstation image or if it is a Hotmail-server
problem as you've said.
Mackenrick
2005-12-13 18:16:03 UTC
I am almost positive this is a Hotmail problem. I noticed it about the time
they switched to Micro for their virus protection. I can't open most
attachments, I can't go to attached "links", some .jpgs won't open in the
text area, all graphics (.jpg, gif., etc.) can only be saved as .bmp, I get
false positive virus warnings on some attachments. If I Forward the email to
my Yahoo account, everything works fine (although, sometimes Hotmail won't
forward some of the attachments). I've sent MSN several emails about it but
doubt if anyone even reads them.

It's too bad because I really like Hotmail but it has gotten so bad this
last year, I'm just about ready give it up and switch to Yahoo.
--
MacKenrick
Vanguard
2005-12-13 19:56:04 UTC
Post by Vanguard
Post by CCLRC-IT
[...]
What happens if you put the following in the Trusted Sites security zone
list:

*.hotmail.com
*.hotmail.microsoft.com
*.hotmail.msn.com
*.passport.com
*.passport.net

I forget which ones you might need but experimentation would show if any are
needed.
CCLRC-IT
needed.
Vanguard
2005-12-15 02:46:14 UTC
Post by CCLRC-IT
Hotmail showed up as a trusted site but IE still wouldn't allow the
attachment to open. Any other ideas?
Nope. I dumped Hotmail a long, long time ago. Too flaky, too unreliable,
too limited, too spammed.
Plato
2005-12-15 03:44:11 UTC
Post by CCLRC-IT
Hotmail showed up as a trusted site but IE still wouldn't allow the
attachment to open. Any other ideas?
Use a standard web based email system if you are into free web based
email. Hotmail is proprietary.
--
http://www.bootdisk.com/